Wednesday, October 1, 2014

2014 NewFO Challenge - September

While browsing at an antique store with my friend Marianne the other day, I saw a quilt I really liked that had scrappy dresden plates on it.  Then yesterday when I was browsing through a quilting group on Facebook, I ran across another dresden plate quilt. This one had the plates appliqued on the center of a larger 4 patch.  I decided that I would like to try doing one my self.   I went through my 3 1/2" strips and picked out about 15 fabrics that I thought would look good together.



Then I used my Dresden template and cut one blade from each fabric sewing the longer ends into prairie points.  After I did that I began sewing the blades together.




I was happy with how they turned out, but it's clear that I will need to pick out several more fabrics to complete the plate.  I haven't decided yet what I am going to do with it, but I am thinking about making a pillow when I finish putting the plate together.


 You can visit Barbara over at Cat Patches to see what others have started this month for their NewFO Challenge. 


7 comments:

  1. This would be a gorgeous pillow or a square table runner. Great fabric choices! Can't wait to see what you decide. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely fabrics! Could make a Tom Turkey too..;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I'll really have to try using my template and some scraps to make one soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've yet to try a dresden pattern...but love the finish of them! Also..I added myself as a GFC follower...I though I already was...but am now! YAH!! Also read more about the green bag lady project. Marianne has told me alot about it and want to make some bags for donations this summer while I'm on summer break! Thanks for the inspiration! Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I got into it about a year and a half ago when Teresa moved here from Nashville. Then I asked Marianne if she would like to join us and she did. Boy howdy! That girl sure can sew. I have no idea how she does so much!

      Delete